Saturday, January 21, 2012

fasting

A controversial subject in some circles. Here's a little of what I've been thinking...

Fasting has always been normal thing for me; growing up Catholic tends to include that. I'd pick something to fast from during Lent (like TV, chocolate, etc.), and would fast on Ash Wednesday & Good Friday to prepare for the Resurrection. Other than the Lenten season, I never usually considered fasting in my daily life. There were a few moments of desperation in college where that was all I could think to do...and there was some wonderful fruit that came from it.

While on the World Race, the topic of "fasting" was brought up often. There were all-day fasts for people at home to know the Lord or to receive healing, fasting to receive more clarity from the Lord, people doing the Daniel fast, fasting for support to come in, fasting from our hard-to-come-by Internet, and even fasts from talking. It was great to stretch ourselves in this way, and I learned a lot and had some great intimacy with the Lord whenever I stepped out and fasted.

But.
I hate that I'm such a girl.
Here's a look at what goes on in my head when I think about fasting:

"ooo maybe I'll lose some weight"
"oh. or maybe it will screw up my metabolism and make me fat"
"nope, no calories equals weight loss. do you think the Lord knows I have ulterior motives?"
"What if i have a social event to go to? You're not supposed to tell people you're fasting but people will bug me because I'm not eating."
"I did eat some brownies the other day. Maybe fasting would balance it out."

what?? seriously?

ridiculous.

Just thought I would put this out there. I love the discipline of fasting but am tired of combating these silly thoughts.

I'm thinking about fasting for a day this week, to pray and seek the Lord about my future and what He wants for me, as well as some issues with my family. Please pray with me to receive fruit from my obedience and not be so ridiculous!

So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer. - Ezra 8:23

So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes. -Daniel 9:3

Declare a holy fast; call a sacred assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the LORD your God, and cry out to the LORD. -Joel 1:14

1 comment:

  1. Those are SO not silly thoughts. yes, girly* :)
    I believe in you and know He'll speak. Blessing in your obedience.

    ReplyDelete