Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Searchlight

 When we were nearing the end of our Race around October, we were all contacted by the Kingdom Dreams staff at AIM and told about a *free* conference that would be held in January to help us with our next steps. Personally, I was super pumped. I love free things, knew I didn't have a clear answer for what was going to happen after the Race, I would finally get to see what's so great about Gainesville, and it's a built-in squad reunion! Why wouldn't I sign up? Some of my squadmates took a little convincing, but I jumped on the boat back when they falsely advertised they would only take 40 participants and registration would end in a week (good marketing strategy, guys).

Here's how I defined it in my final evaluation:

An extremely beneficial week that will help you navigate your next step by providing counsel, encouragement, and options for your post-Race life.

Carrie and I re-enacted our first trip to Georgia  (October 2010), though our route was slightly altered. Started on Thursday in DFW, drove to Holly Springs, MS to pick up Rachael, then finally ended in Tuscaloosa to stay at the Springer's house. We were greeted with big bowls of chili, glasses of wine,  & very interesting cats, as well as a notable suitcase/steep driveway situation that showed how road-weary I'd become.

On Friday we drove the final leg of the journey and had our squad party! What a wonderful feeling to walk into a house of the people who loved you so well during the past year...who know everything about you and still manage to like you. Thank you Barnes family for being the best hosts ever and for putting all other WR coaches to shame :)

The following 6 days were a whirlwind of sessions, silly games & contests, intimate worship, making big decisions, and receiving coaching and advice from some wise, kinda famous people including Andrew Sherman, Seth Barnes Jr. & Sr., Jimmy McCarty (did you know he's into musicals?), & Jeff Goins, to name a few. Although sometimes it felt like school and I had trouble paying attention with my missionary-mush brain, I was so blessed by every aspect of the week.

The most beneficial time for me was the coaching-- a two hour slot designed to help apply what you learned that day to tangible "steps", with help from a coach. My coach was Chris, a minor league baseball player (see, more famous people. Gainesville is crawling with celebs) that has a passion for helping others find their dreams. Even though there were times when things got tedious and you just didn't think you could answer one more question about the future, I loved going away with so many practical ways to help my dream pan out.

Besides helping me find my dream and figure out the next steps, it helped to be with other people that were in the same boat. In the six weeks of being home I really started worrying that I didn't have my stuff together and "everyone else did"-- it helped to show me that everyone was as clueless as I was. Not to mention... we had some awesome fellowship throughout the week. There were coffee dates, glow stick parties, reminiscing, sleepovers, and a great night of karaoke & dancing. Guess who got the MVP award for best dancing (or sweating? don't remember)? THIS GIRL! $5 starbucks gift card never felt so good.

All in all, my favorite week back in America so far! That's right folks, better than Christmas. 

oh, and my decision?


i'm gonna be a DOULA!!!!

my 3-day seminar starts tomorrow and I could not be more excited. Pray for me as I begin this journey!



some visuals:

See? Best sweat-er by far. I got #wrcouplewatch'ed


Just a bunch of Aggie World Racers! The best looking group in the room. And smartest.

King Cake for breakfast after our stop in New Orleans




Photo creds: Carrie & Phil's iPhones. they're too cool for school.



oh, and shout out to the Goodes for being the best host home EVER! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for being a doula! That's exciting! How much more school will you need to do that?

    Did you finish Divergent? Isn't it amazing? Let me know when you finish so I can get it back and put on my classroom bookshelf. No hurry!

    Bailey

    ReplyDelete