Thursday, December 8, 2011

companies i might like to work for

This post isn't heavy on the research (none of mine have been so far, but that's beside the point), but just a fanciful pondering on places i've imagined are fun places to work. Don't know if i will start a career with any of them, but I have been checking on their websites a lot lately.

1. HEB/Central Market- many of you know that I worked for store #543 in College Station last fall (2010)...and LOVED it! I was an employee at the Cooking Connection, where I prepared and shared foods & wines with all the customer that walked in. They gave me a chef jacket & hat and a microphone and I had so much fun chatting it up with random people. Loved my boss, my co-workers, and would have stayed working there if not for the Race. A picture of me at work:



I would really like to go back to HEB in some form or capacity. I am not aware of all the positions they offer, but know I would enjoy anything (except maybe cashier. and maintenance). Also, if you watched The Colbert Report last night, he used a picture of HEB milk for a graphic! He probably doesn't even know what HEB is.

2. Whole Foods- same concept, but way more organic and expensive. Does that mean they pay more?

3. marathonKIDS- I first heard about this company when I was working at Sky Ranch in 2008. I kept seeing all these campers with T-shirts that said "I ran a marathon" and I wondered if kids were actually allowed to run 26.2 miles straight. One camper informed me that it's an afterschool program where they run a a little at a time that eventually adds up to running 26.2, and the final mile is held at a college campus. They teach healthy eating habits as well, and desire for the kids to live healthy lifestyles. I think it originally started in Austin, but has grown to other parts of the country. kids + running+ nutrition = a fun job for me

4. NPR- specifically This American Life, but I would settle for anything. Did anyone listen to the "Middle School" episode? Genius.

5. REI- who doesn't love this place? probably hoity toity rich girls don't....but who else? Seems like a fun place to work, i hear you get good benefits, and I'm sure there's an employee discount. Probably wouldn't help my efforts to try and dress more "grown up".

6.IKEA- inexpensive, Swedish furniture with a tasty cafeteria downstairs. Why wouldn't I want to work there?

7. Teach for America- haven't really considered applying yet, but I think it's a great concept and I would love to reach kids in this way. Wonder if my world experience would help me get this job..

8. Anthropologie- one of my squadmates suggested that I could work there when I was wearing a particularly cute outfit that day, and it was probably one of my favorite compliments ever. I would need help dressing myself form my fashionable friends (hello Nance, Suzi, & jallison), but seems to be a good place to work.

9. Apple- probably wouldn't be able to cut it at the Genius Bar, but could definitely sell the stuff!

10.  The Food Network- besties with Alton & Guy? yes please.


There you have it, my top 10. Have any of you worked at these places before? Let me know the inside scoop!

-April

No comments:

Post a Comment